Photo kindly donated by Robert McGillivray.
The chassis for a batch of 10 single deck buses were ordered during the Second World War when the Daimler company was taking orders for production after hostilities ceased. In the event only 7 were delivered, 14 being received in July 1948. The completed vehicles had B34R timber framed bodywork built locally in Kittybrewster by Wlliam Walker, Ashgrove Coachworks. These buses were originally used on lighter loaded services and on the many contract and private hire runs within the city.
As an economy measure, the Corporation had sold off its fleet of 10 Crossley touring coaches in 1956 and, in part substitution, these then relatively young Daimler single decker’s were used. In preparation, all had been rebuilt in King Street workshops in 1956 with a front door in place of the rear entrance. Two of the group were rebodied by Alexander, Falkirk, in 1958 (see ACT 11) and all bar one of the remainder were eventually rebuilt in King Street workshops to resemble the Alexander bodywork. Number 14 was thus rebuilt in 1963 to B31F bodywork layout; it was renumbered 44 in 1967 to make way for new driver only single decker’s (see ACT 10 and ACT 14 (AEC)). It was not modified to be used for driver only operation in stage carriage service and until withdrawn in 1971 it was used for city tours, private hire and contract work.
After its sale, 14/44 saw further passenger service with A&C McLennan of Spittalfield, Perthshire, who, in turn, sold it to preservationists in Lancashire in 1975. The bus was kindly donated to the Trust by the Ribble Vehicle Preservation Trust.