In its original condition, this was the first of a batch of 10 buses delivered in March 1951 to replace tramcars on the Mannofield route. However, in their earlier days they were used across the whole of the Corporation’s bus network.
When new, this batch of Daimlers had H56R layout bodywork with wood framing by Northern Coachbuilders (NCB) of Newcastle. NCB had done much production of new and refurbished bus bodywork after the war and had already delivered 25 buses to Aberdeen Corporation in 1946 and 1947. Unfortunately, the massive post war demand for new buses had outstripped NCB’s ability to maintain its stocks of seasoned timber with resulting bodywork maintenance problems for bus operators. Given the satisfactory performance of the Daimler chassis component of these buses, the decision was taken to have the whole batch rebodied by Alexander in Falkirk and this was done in 1960. The new bodies had 66 seats, were steel framed, and were to a newer legal maximum width of 8’0” vice the original width of 7’6”. This required modification of the axles to accept a wider body.
In their rebodied condition, this batch was in front line service for much of the 1960s, often on route 25 (Faulds Gate – Hayton) in the early 1960s, and routes 1 and 2 (Balgownie - Garthdee) in the late 1960s. 160 was withdrawn from service in 1971 but was renumbered 90 and retained as a driver training vehicle until 1976 when it was sold to TD Alexander of Arbroath. It was sold on again in 1977 and then had a succession of owners in the Arbroath area until acquired for preservation in 1992. In the meantime its original registration, DRS360, was lost, and is now WTS937A.